Where in the World?

Wondering where all this went down? Click on the following link to see a map. It seems to work best on Internet Explorer.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=110835804222918428459.00045e5639df088e4e973&ll=33.811102,-112.07428&spn=1.006373,1.73584&z=9

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Gringita, soy yo!

Hotel Regina, Cochabamba
Last night we had a great mexican meal including burritos with guacamole, pico de gallo, chicken, beans and cheese. Each burrito cost 10 bolivianos
(Bs), which is about 1.25 american dollars. I tried to change our 100 bill into smaller change because our host villages may not be able to. We found a little grocery store and I bought come gum and some cookies. When I got up to the cashier, I greeted her and she told me it would cost cinco bolivianos. I put down the 100 Bs and she asked me a question that I didn´t recognize and then I realized she was ready to type something into her computer. I realized she said something about numbero, so I figured I was supposed to give her a phone number. Of course, I don´t have one, but I wasn´t sure whether I´d be able to buy the stuff if I didn´t give her a number so I just started saying numbers in spanish. I wasn´t sure how many digits there are in a Bolivian phone number, so I just kept saying numbers until she didn´t ask for more. Then she asked me for my name and I said Erica. She typed it in as Ericka, so I tried to ask her to take out the k, but I sais ¨cu¨ which is how you say Q. She thought I was saying that my last name was Cook, so she typed that in. I gave up on correcting her at that point. She gave me the change as a 50, two 20s and a 5 boliviano coin. I wasn´t sure how to ask for a smaller bill (I´ll be asking my language teacher about that today) than the 50, but I got her to change a 10 into moneda, which is coins. They have coins in 10, 20, and 50 centavos and 1, 2, and 5 Bs, which are the most useful. After I returned to the group I told this story to one of the current volunteers and she told me that the number I´d been asked to give was my Income Tax number. The cashier must have thought I was insane. Overall, it was a good learning experience, and I´ve got the receipt to remind my of my undercover name, Ericka Cook.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh man I wish I could've seen a tape of that, though the one I made up in my mind is pretty good. Glad alls well- hey I got a job in seattle! ok love you, go bears!

just jenny said...

love,love,love your blog! reminds me of when I was training and having intestinal problems in Africa! I am so proud of you both for embarking on this adventure together and look forward to enjoying updates of your life in Bolivia!
love and miss you! hot lava!